Each year, WOTS features a writing contest based on a theme. First and Second Place awards are given in the categories of Fiction, Nonfiction and Poetry.
2017 theme: "Shadows"
Please carefully review the following as some instructions have changed.
- Entrants must be a registered attendee of the current year’s conference.
- Applicants may enter more than one category, but only one entry in each category (fiction, nonfiction and poetry).
- A $15 fee is required for each entry, and can be paid with conference registration, separately by check, or over the phone with a credit card.
- Entries must be 1,500 words or less and received by the deadline (2017 date "tbd" end of August).
- Material must be original and not previously accepted for publication or production.
- The City of Edmonds is granted a one-time right to reproduce winning entries for educational purposes.
- A social security number is required by the City of Edmonds for every cash award recipient in order to process payment.
- All submissions are final. We will not accept requests to resubmit an entry, so please take the time necessary to proof your entry.
- Contest fees are non-refundable.
- Conference presenters, steering committee, and persons affiliated with Edmonds Arts Commission are not eligible for participation.
- Winners are selected by independent judges. Judging is anonymous. Notes are not provided.
- Entries will be judged primarily on the quality of the writing. The theme (Shadows) may be addressed directly or indirectly.
- Entries must meet all the rules and submission instructions.
- First place awards are $100 and Second place awards are $75. Monetary awards are generously provided by RBC Wealth Management/Krause & Thorpe Management Team. Honorable Mention may be awarded at the judges’ discretion, but it does not come with a cash prize.
- The language and subject matter of entries should be appropriate for the general public and for circulation in the public library.
- All entries must be typed in a standard copy-style font (Arial, Helvetica, Times New Roman, Calibri), 10-12 point size, single spaced lines, and formatted on 8 1/2 x 11 page with a minimum of 1 1/4 margins on all sides.
- Do not type your name anywhere on the manuscript. Judges are not to know who wrote the entries.
- Type the title at the top of the first page. NOTE: In order to avoid multiple entries with the same title, it is strongly recommended authors do not title their entries with the theme.
- Your entry must have a footer on each page: In the footer on each page type the title, page number, and genre (Example: An Award-Winning Story—page 1—Fiction). If you are unfamiliar how to create a page footer, refer to your program’s instructions. Please, do not use multiple line returns. It may appear alright on your computer, but the format may be lost in the copy sent to us.
- Save the document with the genre and the title (Example: Fiction An Award-Winning Story) and save your document in either Word or PDF format (.doc,. docx, or .pdf).
- Submit your entry/entries electronically. Do Not Mail. Instructions how to submit your entry via this website will be posted late spring/early summer of 2017.
- Failure to follow any of the rules and instructions may result in disqualification.
The Literary Contest awards are generously sponsored by Krause & Thorpe/RBC Wealth Management