Each year, WOTS features a writing contest based on a theme. First and Second Place awards are given in the categories of Fiction, Nonfiction and Poetry.
2017 theme: "Shadows"
Please review the following carefully as some instructions have changed.
- Entrants must be a registered attendee of the current year’s conference.
- Applicants may enter more than one category, but may submit only one entry in each category (fiction, nonfiction and poetry).
- A $15 fee is required for each entry, and can be paid with conference registration, separately by check, or over the phone with a credit card.
- Entries must be 1,500 words or less and received by the deadline (2017 date "tbd" end of August).
- Material must be original and not previously accepted for publication or production.
- Conference presenters, steering committee, and persons affiliated with Edmonds Arts Commission are not eligible for participation.
- The City of Edmonds is granted a one-time right to reproduce winning entries for educational purposes.
- A social security number is required by the City of Edmonds for every cash award recipient in order to process payment.
- Contest fees are non-refundable.
- Winners are selected by independent judges. Judging is anonymous. Notes are not provided.
- Entries will be judged primarily on the quality of the writing. The theme (Shadows) may be addressed directly or indirectly.
- Entries must meet all the rules and submission instructions.
- First place awards are $100 and Second place awards are $75. Monetary awards are generously provided by RBC Wealth Management/Krause & Thorpe Management Team. Honorable Mention may be awarded at the judges’ discretion, and does not come with a cash prize.
- The language and subject matter of entries should be appropriate for the general public and for circulation in the public library.
- All entries must be typed in a standard copy-style font (Arial, Helvetica, Times New Roman, Calibri), 10-12 point size, single spaced lines, and formatted on 8 1/2 x 11 page with a minimum of 1 1/4 margins on all sides.
- Do not type your name anywhere on the manuscript. Judges are not to know who wrote the entries.
- Type the title at the top of the first page. NOTE: In order to avoid multiple entries with the same title, it is strongly recommended authors do not title their entries with the theme.
- Your entry must have a footer on each page: In the footer on each page type the title, page number, and genre (Example: An Award-Winning Story—page 1—Fiction). If you are unfamiliar how to create a page footer, refer to your computer program’s instructions. Please, do not insert multiple line returns.
- Name the document with the genre and the title (Example: Fiction An Award-Winning Story) and save your document in either Word or PDF format (.doc,. docx, or .pdf).
- Submit your entry/entries electronically. Do Not Mail. Instructions how to submit your entry via this website will be posted late spring/early summer of 2017.
- Failure to follow any of the rules and instructions may result in disqualification.
The Literary Contest awards are generously sponsored by Krause & Thorpe/RBC Wealth Management